Thursday, December 9, 2004

Macomb, Illinois

From the Macomb Journal of December 5, 2004
Resident captures intruder

Leonard Gamage is sore today, which is understandable since he spent more than 45 minutes fighting off an intruder late Friday.

Gamage, 87, suffered some bumps and bruises in a pair of fights with the intruder, who is an unidentified 20-year man. Leonard told the Journal he does feel good about still having the ability to defend his home.

"I'm an old soldier," Gamage said. "I was in quite a few scuffles in the Army. I feel like I can still go if I have to."

Gamage said the ordeal started just after 9 p.m. He was watching television at his home, located at 1200th Road, near Macomb, when someone came to his front door. Gamage said he went to the back door since both doors face the patio.

Gamage did not recognize the young man. When he went to open the door, he said the man grabbed the screen door and forced himself inside the house.

"I asked him what he wanted and told him to get out," Gamage said.

The intruder allegedly refused to leave. That is when Gamage and the young man got into their first altercation.

"We started to scuffle right there in the kitchen," Gamage recalled. "I was able to get him outside the house and told him again to get out."

Gamage said he remembered having a pair of rifles in a gun rack inside the house. As he started in that direction, he and the man began to fight again at the back door, in the kitchen/patio area.

"I was finally able to get my hands on one of the guns and hit him in the back with the gun stock," Gamage said. "That's when he looked at me and said 'I'm going to get you."

Gamage said he was thinking that he would hate to kill the young man, but would if he were left with no choice. Gamage then fired a pair of warning shots, one at each foot, but that did not deter the intruder, according to Gamage, who was feeling weak by this point. Gamage was at the hospital a day earlier being treated for a nose bleed.

"I lost a lot of blood the day before and I was weak," Gamage added. "When he said he was still going to get me, I realized this was serious. I shot him in the left foot. It hit him in the arch and he screamed and started jumping around like a chicken with his head cut off."

Gamage said he pointed the rifle at the suspect's stomach and ordered him to freeze while Gamage made a telephone call. Instead of calling 911, Gamage called a neighbor, Tom Friday, and told him he had been attacked.

When he went back the intruder was gone. Gamage said he did not feel comfortable knowing the suspect was out there, so he went into the dark, looking for the young man.

Gamage said he spotted the suspect near the garage, next to the barn. Gamage crept up behind the man and ordered him not to move or he would kill him.

"About that time Tom pulled up," Gamage said. "I think he was shocked because I was holding the intruder at gunpoint."

Seconds later Gamage said multiple police cars, an ambulance and fire rescue units all converged on his home.
The ordeal was finally over. It was about 10:45 p.m.


Ironically, Gamage lost the very rifle that may have saved his life.

"I do not have a gun permit so they had to take my rifles," Gamage said. "The sheriff told me if I get my permit, he would see what he could do to help me get them back.

I never use them, but they have been in the family a long time."

Gamage said the sheriff and other officers told him he "did a hell of a job," defending his property.

"If nothing else I hope this prevents other intruders from breaking into someone's home," Gamage said.
From the Macomb Journal of July 21, 2005
Victim angry with plea deal

A 20-year-old Geneva man who attempted to force his way into a rural Macomb residence in December pleaded guilty to an amended charge of disorderly conduct Wednesday in McDonough County Court.

James VanderVeen of Geneva, was originally charged with felony trespass to a residence.

In a negotiated plea VanderVeen was sentenced to 12 months court supervision and fined $100 plus court costs. If VanderVeen successfully serves the year of court supervision, the misdemeanor will be wiped from his record.

The charge stems from an incident that took place at the Leonard Gamage residence.

Gamage told the Journal he is "amazed" over the terms of the plea agreement.

"I'm shocked," Gamage said. "This guy invaded my home. I am sure he would have killed me if he could. I do not believe this ended up as a misdemeanor. I've seen cases of home invasion where the guy would get 10 or 12 or 15 years in prison."

(More)

No comments:

Post a Comment