Saturday, September 10, 2005

Picayune, Mississippi

From the September 7, 2005 Florida Times-Union:
Hampton, a former Army sergeant, said he doesn't frighten easily. But Katrina and the looters that came through his Picayune neighborhood changed that.

"I was scared every minute. I prayed a lot," he said. "I don't wear my dog tags that often, but I had them on for them to identify my body."

Hampton said he'd gotten home on several flat tires after driving from his son's house. Inside, he found a television and a DVD player gone. His wife's car, a boat and a riding lawn mower were also missing.

With no car or phone service to call for help, Hampton stayed behind to care for his dogs and protect his property from looters who roamed freely at night. He hid in a corner, clutching guns in each hand and occasionally catching a few winks.

Hampton said he heard someone on his property Thursday and fired a shot after the man cursed and refused to leave. Hampton doesn't know if he wounded the stranger.

"It was very intense," Hampton said. "That's all I had left and I wouldn't let anybody take it away from me. This is America. If your neighbor gets down, you're supposed to help him, not go and kick him."

No comments:

Post a Comment