Saturday, November 12, 2005

Orrum, North Carolina

From the Lumberton Robesonian of November 11, 2005
Store owner turns gun on would-be thief

Donald Ray Britt says, when he had to choose between his life and that of a masked gunman, he began firing.

“I knew he came back to kill me, so I guess I started shooting,” said Britt, who said he had been pistol-whipped moments before.

The 58-year-old store owner shot Michael Breeden three times, striking him in the back, side and hand, according to sheriff's Detective Neil Tyner. After the shooting, Britt held Breeden at gunpoint until sheriff's investigators arrived.

Breeden was in serious but stable condition Thursday afternoon, according to Tyner. He would not disclose the hospital where Breeden is being treated.

Britt was taken to Southeastern Regional Medical Center, where he was treated for injuries he suffered to the left side of his face.

“He's got numerous fractures to the left side of his face and skull,” Tyner said. “He will have to have reconstructive surgery on the eye socket.”

Britt said he was stocking drinks at the Farm Fast Stop on Wire Grass Road Wednesday night when two masked men entered his Orrum store at about 7:45 p.m. Britt said Breeden was holding the gun and forced him to help the second man take money from the store's cash register. The men took about $1,200 in cash.

“I was at the back of the store and the first one that came in told me to give him my wallet and keys,” Britt said. “He hit me one time on the side of the head and it knocked me to the floor.”

Britt said after the men left, he found a gun he keeps hidden behind the counter. A moment later, Breeden reappeared.

“I picked up my pistol and the one with the gun came back in, pointing the gun,” Britt said. “I'm lucky to still be here. I hate it happened, but it was either him or me.”

Tyner said some money was recovered, along with Britt's wallet and keys.

Authorities are still looking for the second robber, who wore a Halloween mask that depicted a skeleton. He fled with the rest of the money. Tyner said the robbery was captured on videotape.

Tyner said Britt would not face charges. “He was clearly defending himself and his property,” Tyner said.

Breeden faces multiple felony charges, including assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury, armed robbery and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Tyner said Breeden was wanted on outstanding warrants charging him with an aggravated assault in Fayetteville, Ark.

No comments:

Post a Comment