Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Taylorsville, Utah

From Salt Lake City’s ABC4.com of September 4, 2006
Taylorsville man shot in self-defense, prosecutors say

He called it self-defense and prosecutors agreed with him. Two weeks ago, Ryan McManigal fired at alleged intruders at his home.

He went outside in pursuit and fired more shots. Three stray bullets went into the homes of neighbors. "I did what I had to do man, got to protect your house," McManigal told ABC4 News. "They were going to try and kill me."

This week the Salt Lake District Attorney determined that McManigal was justified in protecting himself.

McManigal said the intruders were one time friends. He said one of the men, Randy Harvey got into a fight and nearly broke the jaw of his room mate. He said Harvey left but returned with two more men. He claimed Harvey tried to break down his door.

So he fired warning shots. Then he fired at Harvey, hitting him in the ankle. He also shot at Ricky Archuleta, hitting him in the back of the leg. "I was aiming at the legs I didn't want to kill them," McManigal said. "Once I felt they were going to attack me I just shot at them."

At the time, James Doan was watering his lawn. One of the bullets hit his fence. Another bullet flew by him, missing him by inches. Doan's upset the man who nearly shot him wasn't charged. "Very upset because we're talking about life here," said James Doan.

And other neighbors who didn't want to appear on camera are also angry that McManigal isn't being charged. "I don't think any kind of violence is good especially to go out on the streets especially with people around," Doan said.

McManigal said he never aimed for his neighbors and that the bullet must have bounced off the sidewalk. "It was from a reflection off the driveway," he said. "It wasn't like I was shooting in the air shooting at the house, I feel bad for that."

Prosecutors did file charges against Harvey and Archuleta for burglary and assault.

No comments:

Post a Comment