Friday, December 8, 2006

Williamstown, Kentucky

From December 6, 2006 Grant County News (early December--no date):
It all came down to survival for Holton Smith on Saturday, Dec. 2 as he faced an intruder in his bedroom.

Two men in their mid-20s broke into Smith's home on Baton Rouge Road in Williamstown around 4 p.m. One came into the bedroom while the other stayed at the front door.

"My wife and daughter were gone so I thought I'd take nap. I left the bedroom room cracked open so our dog, Schottzie, could come in," said Smith. "He left the room, then came back in and licked my fingers, then left again.

"Then I heard the doorbell ringing," he added.

Smith said the ringing continued, followed by loud knocking on the door. Then came the unmistakable sound of his new front door being kicked in.

"I could hear someone coming when the doggie-gate fell down," said Smith. "That's when it crossed my mind that this was a life-or-death deal."

Smith grabbed a .38-special from a nearby chest of drawers.

"I couldn't get the gun out of the holster but I pointed it right at the man's face while we looked at each other," said Smith. "I knew I had to hold the gun steady."

...

"I knew that I had to get more space between me and that fellow," said Smith. "We were too close."

Then the man turned and ran toward the front door with Smith on his heels.

"The one almost ran over the other as they tried to get out," said Smith.

Both men were wearing blue jeans; one in a white shirt, the other wearing blue.

Smith fired two warning shots over their heads as they ran from his house toward Arnie Risen Boulevard.

"He could have easily shot them but he chose not to," said Williamstown Police Chief Bobby Webb.

"The only way I could've shot him was in the back and I didn't want to do that," said Smith. "I don't want to kill anybody."

Nothing was taken during the break-in.

Williamstown Officer Ron Perkins continues to investigate the incident. Deputies from the Grant County Sheriff's Office and the Kentucky State Police also assisted at the scene.

...

Smith said the event continues to play out in his mind as he weighs his decision - did he do the right thing by not shooting the men or were warning shots enough?

"This isn't about bravery. I knew I was scared but it was about survival," said Smith. "I far as I was concerned, I was facing the enemy."

No comments:

Post a Comment