Friday, April 13, 2007

Madison, Tennessee

From Nashville’s NewsChannel5.com of April 13, 2007
Madison Man Wakes Up To Robber

While Tom Keating, of Madison, was surprised to find a stranger standing in his bedroom, his quick action helped solve a half dozen burglaries in his neighborhood.

"All I know is I'm lucky to be alive, because if I didn't have the gun I don't know what could have happened," Keating said. "For some reason I sat up in the bed and there he was standing in the bedroom door, so I just yelled ‘what are you doing here?' and tried to keep him from doing anything else while I reached for my gun."

Keating realized the man broke through a window to get in.

"I didn't hear him break in because my ears are clogged up with allergies," Keating said.

The man got away, but not before Keating called 911. A short time later police arrested Jonathon Brown. Brown told police he had committed nearly a half dozen burglaries in the same neighborhood.

Councilman Michael Craddock said Keating may have single handedly brought down the crime rate in Madison.

"Sometimes it takes proactive citizens to get things done, and Mr. Keating to me is a proactive citizen," Michael Craddock Metro Council Member

For the year overall crime in Craddock's council district is down 11 percent, but burglaries are up ten percent. Police believe Brown may have committed several of the burglaries, but they can't prove it.

Jonathon Brown agreed to plead guilty to burglary. The plea agreement with prosecutors included a six year jail term.

No comments:

Post a Comment