Thursday, October 11, 2007

Fort Bend County, Texas

From Houston’s ABC13.com of October 11, 2007
Armed homeowner catches suspects in the act

A quick-thinking homeowner who happens to be an early riser may be responsible for getting some crooks off the street.

The man awoke early this morning at his home in th Cinco Ranch subdivision. As he went to feed the cats, he noticed the side door to the garage was open.

Sheriff's deputies say Brian Bostic, 18, was inside a vehicle belonging to the homeowner's wife and Richard Holley, 20, was standing in front of the garage keeping lookout.

Before the suspects noticed him, the homeowner retrieved a 12 gauge shot gun. He then demanded they lie on the ground and detained the suspects until deputies arrived on scene. Both suspects were taken into custody without incident. They are currently being held in the Fort Bend County Jail for burglary.

Investigators located the suspects' vehicle, which contained stolen property from other homes in the area. Detectives believe these suspects may be responsible for a string of at least five burglaries. It appears that the suspects gained entry into unlocked vehicles located in the driveway as well as unlocked garages.
From Houston’s KHOU.com of October 12, 2007
Speak softly and carry a 12-gauge

A Fort Bend County homeowner fought back when he found burglars in his home.

“You know there's something about when you hear a pump shotgun click,” said Nathaniel Brooks. “It makes everybody think twice.”

And the two burglars did think twice.

“You are trying to steal something out of my garage,” Brooks recalled telling the robbers. “You in my garage so you have no rights now. This is my house.”

He saw them through his back door rummaging through his garage.

“And I walked out of the house and I went around and confronted those guys on the side of the house,” he said. “So, I aimed at him and said, ‘You sneeze, you're dead man.’ And I called the other guy out of the garage.

"I watch a lot of movies it sounded like a good thing to say. It got his attention."

Brooks held them at attention until deputies got there two minutes later.

“I feel like I reacted like every homeowner should react,” said Brooks.

Deputies have praised Nathaniel for what he did, said he is well within his rights to do what he did. But they also say he helped them catch someone who has done this many, many times before.

The suspects are Brian Bostic and Richard Holly. Deputies say this isn't Bostic's first time to be arrested for a break in.

Meanwhile, Brooks has the praise of his neighbors.

"I think it's fabulous I wish more people would do it,” said neighbor Charlotte Priest. "I don't blame him. I'd do the same thing myself."

Even Brooks own wife said in 20 years of marriage she had never heard this tough talking guy before.

"And I have never seen that side of him. It’s like I'm a newlywed now,” said Vanessa Brooks.

Yes, life is good again on Cinco Park Place where burglars are reminded to listen, and think twice.

“Don't go to my house. I wouldn't come to my house if I were you,” said Brooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment