Thursday, December 11, 2008

Massachusetts: Liquor store clerk disarms would-be robber

Lawrence, Massachusetts

From the Eagle Tribune of December 7, 2008
Liquor store clerk disarms would-be robber

Raul Gruezo said he got angry last night when a would-be robber walked into Garcia Liquors, pointed a loaded gun at him and demanded money.

"I'm so mad, I'd like to hit him," the 59-year-old package store clerk said.

Gruezo said he stared the man down, then grabbed hold of the gun with his right hand, and used his left hand to pull it away from the intruder, who then fled the store.

"I look at him, like a cat, then take it away," Gruezo said, demonstrating how he snuck his right hand onto the weapon as he looked at the intruder. His left hand was injured and bandaged from the scuffle.

"This is the first time in my life that somebody pointed a gun at me," he said. "But I don't scare. I'm not nervous. I'm just mad."

Gruezo said he used his size advantage to pull the gunman toward him and push the gun so it pointed toward the ceiling instead of at his face.

The robbery suspect, who is described as 5-foot-5, with a stocky build, fled the store after losing his gun. Police said they will review a store surveillance tape in an effort to identify the gunman.

(More)

No comments:

Post a Comment